It’s been a little while since I put up a recipie, so here’s something I made for dinner last night. It’s quick, simple, and tasty. I can’t take credit for the recipie, though. It came from one of my cookbooks.
Spicy Chicken and Black Bean Tacos
1 15 oz can black beans, 327 calories
1 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies, 50 calories
12 oz boneless skinless chicken breast, 560 calories
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
- Drain the black beans and tomatoes, and put them in a slow cooker.
- Mix the chili powder and cumin in a small bowl, and rub the mixture onto the chicken breasts. Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 1.5 to 2 hours, or on low for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Mix shredded chicken with contents of slow cooker.
- Serve on tortillas with toppings as desired.
- Yeah, it’s that simple.
- You’re looking at 26 calories an ounce, and four ounces makes a good taco. The whole wheat soft taco shells I used were another 100 calories apiece, and I put a generous half ounce of shredded cheddar cheese (55 calories) on the taco, so that came out to 259 calories per taco. I ate two of them for dinner, so 518 calories. Your mileage will, of course, vary with your taco shells and toppings.
- I didn’t find it to be excessively spicy, but the mild stinging on the tongue turned my son off – he liked the taste, right until the burn kicked in. You could probably cut the spice level by using plain diced tomatoes.